Welfare Resources

Welfare Services
There are a wide variety of health and welfare services available to students here at Oxford: such a variety in fact that it can be hard to keep track of them all. As such, we provide below a handy cheat-sheet to the College, University and extra-University services to which graduates can turn. This seeks to be an evolving list, so, if there are services in Oxford you know of, and are not on here, please let us know by emailing the Executive Secretary or your Welfare Officers (at the emails below).
General Welfare Officer Emailwelfare-mcr@lmh.ox.ac.uk
Medical Help
Anne Harpin, our College Nurse, can be seen in her office between 8:30-11:30 Monday to Friday. To find her, enter Deneke, keep walking past the dining room towards Deneke East on the ground floor, and you’ll find it at the end of the corridor, on your left.
Phone: 01865 274319
The college doctors are Dr Linda Jones working Tuesdays and Thursdays and Dr Cathy Aylward working Wednesdays and Fridays. They can be contacted via the reception of Banbury Rd Medical Centre or via the college nurse (see above).
Medical Help Outside College Surgery Hours
If you require help outside of these times, the closest place to LMH is Banbury Road Medical Centre (172 Banbury Road, OX2 7BT).
Phone: 01865 515731
Other NHS Numbers:
Emergency Services
Phone: 999
NHS Non-Emergency Number
To be used when you require urgent medical help/advice, in a non-life-threatening situation.
Phone: 111
Sexual Health
The College provides the following sexual health items for free:
Dental dams
Chlamydia tests
Pregnancy tests
Panic alarms
Morning after pill
A stock of condoms, dental dams and lube should be available in the MCR Welfare Cupboard at all times. If you find that certain items have not been stocked, please contact the Welfare Execs, either via their personal emails or at welfare-mcr@lmh.ox.ac.uk
Chlamydia tests, pregnancy tests and panic alarms are obtained by emailing the Welfare Execs, at the personal emails above. We can place them in your pigeon holes or give them to you in person, whichever you prefer. You can obtain the morning after pill from the College Nurse or from a local GP or pharmacist. If you obtain the pill from outside College, the College Nurse will reimburse you if provided with a valid receipt.
Need to Talk?
Oxford can easily be an overwhelming experience, even for adult and real-world experienced graduates. Talking about your difficulties is the first, best step to solving them and the following services all offer the opportunity to do so in confidence. Help is available and willingly offered. Please use it. In College, your first call may be to the MCR Welfare Execs. We are often in College and may be contacted at the personal emails above. Also available are the LMH Peer Supporters mcr-peersupport@lmh.ox.ac.uk, fellow students specially trained in effective listening and confidentiality. More information about the Peer Supporters may be obtained from the Peer Support Coordinator.
For more professional assistance, students should contact the University Counselling Service. A full description of the counsellors, their skills and the services they offer may be found here. To make an appointment with a Counsellor please contact the Service using the means below. Their reception is open from 9:00-17:00, Monday to Friday. Their offices are at 3 Worcester Street, Oxford, OX1 2BX.
Phone: 01865 270300
Outside of daylight hours, students can contact Oxford Nightline http://oxfordnightline.org/talk. This phone helpline service runs from 20:00 to 8:00 every night, 0th week through 9th week, and is totally confidential. Like peer supporters, Nightline coordinators receive training in effective listening and confidentiality. They can be contacted via the means listed below, or by dropping into their offices between 20:00-8:00, at 16 Wellington Square, Oxford, OX1 2JD.
Phone: 01865 270 270
Instant Messagehttp://oxfordnightline.org/open-im
Skype: oxfordnightline
Outside of term time, graduates looking for a chat should speak to the Oxford Samaritans. They can be contacted year-round via phone (24 hours a day, 365 days a year), text, letter, email (they keep no record of email address) and in person between 8:00-22:00 at their offices (located at 60 Magdalen Road, Oxford, OX4 1RB).
Phone: 116 123
Write to:Freepost RSRB-KKBY-CYJK, PO Box 9090, STIRLING, FK8 2SA
Bullying & Harassment
Defined as any action that either a) violates a person’s dignity or b) creates an intimidating, hostile, degrading, humiliating or offensive environment for another person, Oxford University has a zero-tolerance policy against harassment. If you experience harassment, and require advice on what to do next, the University has a network of confidential Harassment Advisors who will listen to you, clarify your options and aid you in finding resolution.
The LMH Harassment Advisors are Dr Sophie Ratcliffe and Prof Philip Biggin:
If you wish to contact Advisors based outside of College, you can do so here:
Phone: 01865 270760
Rape, Assault & Sexual Harassment
Oxford offers many services to those who have survived sexual violence. They are provided by the University, College and outside charities, and include medical assistance, police attention and mental support.The best directory of services available is the First Response Oxford app (http://www.firstresponseoxford.org/).
With its encyclopaedic extent and comprehensible design, this app can quickly guide you to the help you need. You can preview it online here:  http://preview.firstresponseoxford.org/.
For those students who identify as women, the Oxfordshire Sexual Abuse & Rape Crisis Centre offers helplines, support groups and advocacy – including legal advice and support in dealings with the police and other agencies. Their contact information may be found at the link below.
Also worth mention is LMH’s Solace Fund. If you have survived sexual violence, one immediate option you have is to go to the Sexual Assault Referral Centre in Slough (SL1 2BJ, see http://www.solacesarc.org.uk/). These are specialist-staffed centres, offering both advice and forensic services. Their help may be accessed without having to involve the police, and they will also help you to plan what to do next. If you wish to go to the SARC, you should go to the Porters Lodge, ask to use the Solace Fund, and LMH will pay for a taxi to take you there, no questions asked.
Other Sources
This list, while hopefully helpful, is by design a general document, offering a circumscribed list of services. There are several other services across Oxford that may be able to offer aid, advice or resources useful to Oxford students. A short list of these is provided below.
B-eat (Eating Disorders charity and helpline)
Phone: 0345 634 1414 (16:00-22:00, 365 days a year)
Disability Advisory Service
Phone: 01865 280459
Oxford Childcare Services
For Nursery-related enquiries, contact Cath Astbury:
Phone: 01865 289841
For Finance-related enquiries, contact:
Phone: 01865 289835 (Jackie Wilkins) or 01865 289979 (Neil McCartney)
Oxfordshire Mind
Phone: 01865 247788
OUSU Student Advice Service
Students Against Depression
Student Minds
Thames Valley police
Phone: 101
Create your website with WordPress.com
Get started
%d bloggers like this: